Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mr. Winkle

Mr. Winkle Wakes

Mr. Winkle Wakes is a very interesting short film showing the many advancements that has occurred over the past 100 years. It shows how much technology has helped the world in education and the medical fields. I found it to be funny also. Its fascinating how the environment of the school he visit is the same as he remembered so many years ago. I feel that school should have a little of 'old school' as well as 'new school'. There should be technology in the classroom but also there should be a student teacher relationship. Students should still sit in desks and listen to there lesson.

Did You Know? 3.0

I found this video to be very interesting. It was full of fascinating facts and ideas. I found the ones about the job outlook of 2010 to disturbing. Some of the facts where questionable. I also enjoyed the facts about how much smarter India kids are than American kids. That was very interesting. I wonder how the education process is taught over there. How many hours do they spend with each child? How many hours on each lesson? How many days of the week do they have school?

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of the Creativity

I really enjoyed the speech, and I strongly agree putting more creativity into the minds of students. A major part of education is creativity. It should be encouraged more. Students should be able to think outside the box. They should just be restricted on what is taught by the teachers and what is in their text book.


Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

I am all for letting your students teach you technological things. My younger family members teach me upgraded with things. Also my teammates teach my things on the computer to help me get though my work. They share different website and ways to publish my work. This is very helpful to futher my education. Technology changes everyday and there is no way that one person can stay on top of everything. It takes a community of people to do so. With the help of others one can have all the available technological information.


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post are fairly well written (preview before posting to check accuracy- reading aloud may help) and you speak about the topic, but technically-the instructions are to give a two paragraph (5-8 grammatically correct sentences per paragraph) in hopes that you will develop an idea or thought that people will discuss.

    If I read the last two post, not having seen the videos, then I would be left blank about what they did or what the message was; tell people about the video and give your thoughts on it, maybe sharing how you will incorporate something from it or really don't feel it is appropriate and why.
    How is the education system in India? You could have looked it up very quickly.
    Mr. Winkle post, that you wrote, completely disagrees with the Sir Ken Robinson; how will you encourage creativity while the children sit at their desks listening to the lessons?

    These are just my thoughts when I read the post but I am one of many people who will see your work and think similar things. It is alright to do something wrong, you just have to pick yourself up and improve what you did to have learned something. Blogging is a great way to improve how we write and about the subject because you can edit and develop unlike a written paper essay....it is creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure that sitting at a desk and listening to the teacher fosters a student-teacher relationship. What about the students (plural) and the teacher working together on a common project? But your point is appropriate.

    Be wary of statistics. As I discussed in class the India proposition is strictly the result of size and the implicit definition of "honors" students as the top quarter. The top 25% of students in India who have two eyes is greater than the entire student population of the United States.


    "...and I strongly agree putting more creativity into the minds of students." Putting creativity into minds would be a bit messy I think. You would greatly improve your writing by saying something like "I suggest teachers and parents encourage creativity on the part of students and children."

    What do you mean by "upgraded with things" in this sentence which you have written: "My younger family members teach me upgraded with things." Maybe "The younger members of my family help me stay current with technology, especially when there are upgrades to the hardware and software which we are using." Is that what you meant?

    You still need to work on your writing. But you have met the requirements of the assignment in that you addressed the material as we want you to do.

    Jim Fawcett in his comment above offers some good advice.

    I have removed my earlier comment asking you to redo your post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete